The School is actively recruiting for a CTE Agriculture/Horticulture Teacher. This is a high school teaching position in Agriculture/Horticulture which is a Career and Technical Education (CTE) program. The Horticulture program is a series of prescribed courses for grades 9-12 that provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the horticulture and agriculture industry. The Agriculture/Horticulture program delivers instruction that develops student competencies leading to postsecondary education and employment. Students develop knowledge and skills necessary to care for a variety of plants, greenhouse and garden management, and an understanding of business and marketing concepts.
Based on the difficulty and shortage of Skilled, Highly Qualified teachers we are designating a sign on bonus amount of $7500 for 115c licensed educators whose primary duties are classroom instruction. Highly Qualified is defined as having obtained a NC DPI Certified Teaching license with the DHH (Deaf and Hard of Hearing) endorsement(s) as is applicable to the student population/classroom served.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience collaborating with teachers, clinical professionals and administration to address student needs, department needs and make curriculum adaptations. Have prior experience advising parents and/or legal guardians of student progress for communicating expectations; student's achievements; developing methods for improvements and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment, administering, proctoring, complying, submitting all state mandated test, portfolios, and inventories and be familiar with state policies/procedures for testing.
This is a 12-month position that follows the Academic Calendar. School Educator monthly pay is based on education level and years of experience applicable to the 2021-2022 NC Dept of Public Instruction Certified Teacher Salary Schedule. In addition to base pay, teachers at ENCSD are paid an additional 8% (of monthly base salary) supplement.
This position will remain open until filled. **IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR THE SIGN ON BONUS, CANDIDATES MUST HOLD AN NC DPI VOCATIONAL EDUCATOR'S LICENSE IN THE AREA OF Agriculture Education AND THE DEAF/HARD OF HEARING ENDORSEMENT.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Plans, develops, and uses effective teaching methods and materials which assist students in meeting course objectives, are appropriate for students with diverse educational and experiential backgrounds and learning styles, and engage the students in learning.
- Ability to identify student learning outcomes: develop processes and tools for assessment; incorporate results in order to modify instruction and materials in coordination with colleagues.
- Ability to design and develop curriculum within state guidelines.
- Ability to provide an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of students.
- Ability to supervise students in a variety of school-related settings and activities.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate student performance. Develop and implements instructional plans to improve student performance.
- Ability to maintain required records and follows required procedures and practices.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Have or be eligible for a NC Dept of Public Instruction (NC DPI) Vocational Educator License.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in a related field and relevant trade experience.
- Must be able to communicate using American Sign Language or a willingness to learn.
Examples of Related Degrees:
- Agricultural Business Management
- Agricultural Development
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Studies
- Agronomy (Crops/Soils)
- Animal Science
- Equine Science
- Veterinary Science
- General Agriculture
- Natural Resource Management
- Poultry Science
- Range Management
Required Years of Work Experience for the CTE Restricted licensure route
2 years within past 5 years
Examples of Related Work Experience
- Animal health specialists
- Conservation scientists
- Environmental science and protection technicians
- Extension agent
- Farm and ranch manager
- Integrated agriculture production specialist
- Landscaping and grounds keeping workers
- Nursery technician
- Wildlife enforcement officer
- Wildlife biologists
Semester Hours Required for License
15 Semester Hours from:
- Curriculum, Instructional Planning, and Assessments
- Instructional Methods
- Literacy/Reading Methods
- Meeting Special Learning Needs or Introduction to Exceptionalities or Diversity
- Classroom Management or Learning Theory or Learning Styles or Motivation or How Adolescents Learn
- Career and Technical Student Organization Management
- Supervised Agricultural Experience
Required Induction for the CTE Restricted route
Agriculture Education New Teacher Induction